Is Conflict Constructive Or Destructive?
CONFLICT IS DESTRUCTIVE WHEN:
- Takes attention away from other important activities
- Undermines morale or self-concept
- Polarizes people and groups, redoing cooperation
- Increases or sharpens difference
- Leads to irresponsible and harmful behaviour, such as fighting and name calling.
CONFLICT IS CONSTRUCTIVE WHEN:
- Results in clarification of important problems and issues
- Results in solutions to problems
- Involves people in resolving issues important to them
- Causes authentic communication
- Helps release emotion, anxiety and stress
- Builds cooperation among people through learning more about each other: conflict resolution
- Helps individuals develop understanding and skills
If it is well managed, conflict can have positive outcomes.
Mediation is a method to conflict resolution.